Sunday, September 2, 2018

Current Film Review- Searching

     I recently reread my Unfriended review in potential preparation for watching the sequel (which I ended up not watching), and I found that I was harsh on the film. Not to say I've grown to like Unfriended over the years, but I feel that my criticisms weren't great,often devolved into mindless ranting about unrelated topics, instead of a full analysis. I'm particularly ashamed of implying that the filmmakers had done the computer screen conceit in an attempt for nebulous concept of "artistic pretentiousness" (as if that were a bad thing), and comparing It Follows, instead of just talking about the film on its own merits.  I've grown since then, and if I were to do a reevaluation of the film, I might be inclined to be fairer towards it, especially since it was fairly unique and I should've acknowledged that better instead of dismissing it. Especially since I've now seen this film, which shows that this is definitely something that isn't just a gimmick.

     David Kim (John Cho) has had a distant relationship with his daughter Margot (Michelle La) since the death of his wife Pamela (Sara Sohn). He has a brief interaction with her one night during a study group, which ends with her abruptly disconnecting. While he is asleep, she tries to call him three times. She then doesn't come home the next evening. He then learns that she hasn't been taking her piano lessons in the past few months, and she had skipped school. Eventually, he is forced to file a missing person's report with the police, where he meets Detective Rosemary Vick (Debra Messing). As David unravels the events that occurred the night his daughter went missing, he learns that he didn't know his daughter the way he thought he did.

     First and foremost, this film is exhilarating. I had to catch my breath a couple times during the film. This has some massive twists that you won't see coming, and will keep you on your feet (so to speak). I can't say any more than that without spoilers, and I do not want to spoil this for you. This film is very effective and engrossing in its presentation, and you will be shocked watching this. John Cho delivers a great performance, able to display the emotions of a man grappling with missing a loved ones, and dealing with the revelations. The one thing this film has over Unfriended is that it actually feels more like using a computer screen. In that, it zooms into the various parts of the screen during the actions on it, and it moves across various screens while Cho is trying glean information. We not only see the Apple screen in the trailer, but even the old Windows screen from the early 2000's (the one I used to use back then). All of which serves the plot, and creates an innovative way to tell a long-told story.

    I understand that it was necessary for the plot, and it would've been distracting if they hadn't put it in there, but the product placement seemed off to me. Google and Apple factor heavily into the computers, but other sites like Tumblr and Youtube play a role (thought the former is the source of a funny joke). Not to say it felt like a commercial, but it did get occasionally distracting. To be fair, there is never a moment where they overly praise the item, just use it as a tool to push the plot and there are competing companies in here (the aforementioned Google, Apple, and Microsoft). I also felt that the internet connection could've gone out on occasion, just to increase the realism.

    This is one of the best films of the year. I left the theater stunned and excited at what I just viewed. This was breathtaking in its scope, and how it utilizes its use of computer screen to its fullest potential. Now, I want to see more of these, just to see if they could take it any further. This gets my unequivocal endorsement, in that I recommend it to anyone who has the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment