Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tomorrowland Spoiler review

    So, I decided to write this, just to explain my review. Now, normally I wouldn't do this, largely because I feel that a review should just be a recommendation. It's just my thought on whether or not a person or entity would enjoy it or not. Spoiling it means you'd probably not see it, and I feel that I should encourage you to see it. The only exception is if the film is repulsively bad. Then, I could spoil it all I want, because then no one would see it. Tomorrowland is not an incredibly bad film. However, I feel I need to explain the third act of the film, in order for my review to make sense. Again, this is a spoiler review, so if you are interested in seeing Tomorrowland, I suggest you stop reading, and look at my previous review. Reading my previous review would explain some of the context for the scenes.
      So, Frank, Casey and Athena manage to reach a facility, where they are teleported to the Eiffel Tower. There, the Robot agents manage to track our heroes there. However, they manage to escape, using a rocket, which is accessed.... At the bottom of the tower. Yeah. So, if they had intended on going to Tomorrowland discreetly, well, they were witnessed by millions of people, and the electricity went off in a large metropolitan area. Oops. How exactly did the founders of Tomorrowland (established as Gustav Eiffel, Jules Verne, Thomas Edison, Nikola in this scene) exactly intend on getting there secretly, with that mode of transportation. This could have easily been solved by having it be in the French Countryside or something. Anyway, they go above the atmosphere and send their ship back down to reach the necessary velocity to cross the dimensional threshold to get to Tomorrowland. They cross it. However, they find that the city has fallen into destitution. They are promptly capture by Nix and his army of robots. They take the three to a device, which utilizes tachyons to see past and future events. There, we discover the truth: there is going to be an apocalypse. How? The movie doesn't explain. David Nix says that the apocalypse is inevitable, but once again, Casey's optimism shows a more optimistic future. However, they are then put into a cell, where they will be sent back to Earth. In that cell, however, they realize that,,, I'm sorry, this is part that irks me,... that the machine is sending signals to implant images of the apocalypse. Yep, that's the big mystery. Expecting something bigger on top of that. Well, sucks for you! And that's not even the worst part. When they confront Nix about it, he says that he intended to use those signals, in order to warn humanity about the apocalypse, but instead they embraced the idea of the end, and marketed it (at the back of my mind, I was thinking the movie was dissing Mad Max.) What? Really, that is his whole evil scheme. Show people the images of the apocalypse, without context. Um, hey, evil Governor Hugh Laurie, uh, why didn't you send a very clear message saying "Hey, you know this world. If you don't want it to happen, stop doing the stuff you're doing. See this (shows Tomorrowland). Try doing what we do..." and he goes into detail about what they do in Tomorrowland. And again, this is the big twist. This is supposed to be the thing the big mystery was leading up to. It really is disappointing. And once again, I feel I should blame Lindelof for this. Really, those two films (and Prometheus, which I haven't fully seen) suffer from this problem. A big mystery, which gives a insufficient conclusion, and lackluster effects. Really, it's his mark on the film, not Brad Bird's. Anyway, there is a large fight scene, Athena sacrifices herself, Nix is killed, and Casey destroys the tower. Later, Casey and Frank decide to rebuild Tomorrowland, with help from Casey's father, and a new army of Robot kids, like Athena.They go out, and get more innovators and exceptional... Oh my god, I just realized the Objectivist undertones of this (Maybe people were right about Brad Bird). Sorry, they give them pins like the one Casey received, and they go to Tomorrowland.
   Oh, yeah, the absurd scenes. Let's see, the Paris Rocket, I already covered that. The finishing fight with Nix. The CGI made it look very cartoonish. Oh yeah, there are scenes of Athena fighting. Yes, an 11 year old girl is the focus of several fight scenes. I... don't know what to say. What can you say? Oh yeah, I can't take that seriously. Sorry, I just can't. It's too absurd.
      Looking back, my review was a little too positive. That may be because I write them immediately after watching the film, and I haven't had time to fully think about it. Now that I've had time to think, I like this less. Granted, I still like it to some extent, but my opinion is more mixed. I feel this deserves a 48% (its score on Rotten Tomatoes). Well, nothing much else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment