Thursday, December 25, 2014

Pokecember: Pokemon 4-Ever

   The Fourth one. Just, I actually do like this one. I know some people don't. I know Linkara (of Atop the Fourth Wall) didn't quite take to the film. However, I think it is decent enough. However, I think this film also signifies the ending of an era. That is, the end of Pokemania. This was one of the last film to be released to theaters in the United States, and the reception just got colder and colder. Pokemon's mainstream popularity was the downspiral. (I'd be sadden by this, but I hate the first generation passionately, so seeing it constantly would not be satisfying. I like Generation 2, so maybe I would tolerate that.) This film was one of the last vestiges of the old Pokemania. After that, it becomes the Pokemon franchise I grew up with. I think that Pokemon historians (and there will be those, a franchise like Pokemon will likely last a long time, and a history has to be documented) will see this film or the era around it as the end of the Elementary or Golden Age of Pokemon (I'll perhaps adopt the Kokatu timeline I saw a few days, or the terminology used by the Greeks. Which would work better? Please comment.) Anyway, on to the actual film.... (Can you guess a recurring joke in the review based off the title?)
        The film begins with the legendary time Pokemon Celebi being chased by a Pokemon hunter, and his Scyther and Houndoom, some time in the distant past. Celebi is almost captured if not 4 the intervention of a young traveling Pokemon trainer named Sam. Sam saves Celebi, and later, is taken by Celebi to a time unknown. In the present, the now aged Pokemon Hunter is being interrogated by a Team Rocket operative named "The Iron Masked Marauder" (subtle). Mr. Marauder wants in4mation on Celebi. The Marauder proceeds to demonstrate his "dark balls", which increase the aggressiveness of a Pokemon, and makes them indisputable loyal. Meanwhile, Ash and buddies are travelling through the Johto region. They meet with a man named Mr. White on a ferry, and on that same ferry, see the legendary Pokemon Suicune. When in a different town, Professor Oak explains the legend of Suicune to them, and mentions that he had seen one before. When they leave, he ominously ponders whether he should have told them about a series of events that is to occur. Mr. White takes them to Arborville, a city much like 4tree City in Hoenn, in that the people live in tree houses. Our intrepid heroes set out to a patch of 4est. However, they are stopped by an old woman, who warns them that people disappear in this 4est. This was the same area of 4est in which Sam disappeared. The old woman appeared in the distant past, having a brief conversation with Sam. They enter the 4est, and experience tumultuous weather. This is due to Celebi bringing Sam to this era. Celebi deposits Sam, and meanders off. Our heroes find Sam, and bring him back to the old woman's  house. The old woman recognizes him from years gone by, and she explains that Celebi brought Sam to the present. Sam, along with our heroes, go to find Celebi, who is hiding in a cave in the 4est. They coax the legendary out of the cave, and they set out to send Sam back to his own time. However, soon, they find themselves on the run from the Iron Marauder, who now seeks out Celebi. Can our heroes allow Celebi to escape his reach, and get Sam back to the present?
      First and 4emost (I'll stop that now), I will talk about the twist. Now, I said that I would put unmarked spoilers. However, I feel that this twist actually warrants a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it. Sam is a young Professor Oak.    This was a surprising twist, which, if you watch the movie again, actually makes a lot of sense, and actually strengthens Sam and Ash's bond.  The dub once again actually serves the movie well. They actually animated scenes specifically for the American dub. I believe this is unprecedented. The three scenes created for the dub are: Oak explaining Suicune to Ash and Friends, a comic relief scene with Team Rocket grabbing a fruit, and, at the very end, Oak reading Sammy's old notebook. Once again, this was a nice twist, and having it at the end, (rather than them haphazardly place the reveal during the credits, like in the Japanese version) enhances the effect. You honestly realize the twist, when you remember that Oak's first name is Samuel . Other than that, there are several nice scenes with Ash and Sam, some beautiful animation, some very good action at the end with the Dark Celebi, and an emotional death scene withe Celebi.
    Don't get me wrong, though. There are several problems with the film. The Marauder is not a particularly interesting villain. He's not terrible, like Lawrence III was, but he's not compelling. He's not suavely evil, or just enjoys being evil. He's just boring. I can't honestly recall any good moments from him. I remember his scenes, but they don't stand out. Suicune seems somewhat pointless, in the grand scheme of things. His real purpose seems to be just getting Sam and Ash to Celebi. Also, how was Celebi resurrected? I think that all of Celebi's past forms come and bring him to life, but I honestly don't know. Maybe Dialga gave him back life. The scene is just vague on that. Also, I think they could have dealt with Sam's whole dilemma in more detail, but they do give it time, and do note some ramifications.
     Once again, I don't hate this movie. I do enjoy it immensely. However, it isn't the best, with its flaws holding it back from true greatness. Still, it is good, and I do recommend it to Pokemon, if only for the ending. Non-fans might not enjoy it, but it does explain the world of Pokemon, so if you want to check it out, that's fine. Marry Christmas, and next review, we look at Pokemon Heroes. Also, I will be listing the Top Ten Films I watched in 2014 sometime during the New Year.













No comments:

Post a Comment